Skip to main content

close to the bottom

So I don´t want to write this blog because I would like to prove to everyone, especially myself, that I am responsible. I cannot even remember how many stupid mistakes I have made in the past- just plain stupidity. (I think I am more blonde than I would like to admit) But this is ridiculous and I have to share it on this blog if this blog is supposed to be an accurate portrayal of this period of my life. So mom and dad, please don´t worry because everything is okay, I just scared myself. Okay, now you probably think i almost died, but no. I almost lost my passport. You see, ever since I came to La Serena, I really don´t need it on a daily basis. So after a few days here I just decided to hide it in my room. I put it in this old newspaper and put it behind my books. Well, two days ago I decided to REALLY clean my room and not remembering that my passport was hidden there, I threw away the newspaper. Now in Chile the garbage is taken out every night basically.
So yesterday, I got this random thought, the first time I have ever had this thought since I hid my passport, that I should check on it. Well I tore apart my room looking for it. And started to panic. Not only was my passport in the newpaper, but my tourist card also.
I knew that it was not the end of the world and it would be difficult but not impossible to replace, but still, I felt horrible. I went up to the roof and prayed and cried. I wish I could have cried more since it has been a while since I cried and a good crying always feels good afterward. But after half an hour of feeling just completely helpless and alone, I figured that God had probably been waiting for me to get to this point for a while. I think the passport issue was just a triger for alot of feelings that had been festering in me for a while.
Anyways, I later that evening I thought I would try one more time to look for it. When i remembered that I had put the passport in the newspaper and thrown the newspaper away, I was almost scared to go look at the trash. I knew it was taken out on a regular basis every night. But I went to the trash, and miracle of God, it was not taken out the night before. I dug through the trash and the old newspaper and the passport inside. PRAISE THE LORD!!!!
One of the humorous thoughts that came to my head when this was all going on was that I just wrote to someone and told them to have more faith in me and that their expectations of me were too low. Yeah...Something like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!