Skip to main content

my first friend

I have a friend! I know that sounds corny, but this is my first friend in Chile who is not from my school, and not a part of my family here, and not a connection from a friend from home. I guess the reason this is such a big deal to me is that in my head I think the people I know from school and home HAVE to be friends with me. They don´t really, but it is different when there is someone who is not connected to you at all and then you are friends. Her name is Lorena and I met her through chess. She is the only woman who plays chess in the plaza and we have hung out a few times when we see each other in the plaza. Well she asked me a few days ago if we could hang out this weekend and we did. We took a colectivo (a taxi) to Coquimbo which is the sister city to La Serena. We went to a bar called La babra negra (the black beard) and drank pisco sours as we talked about politics, life, love, and anything that came up. (She speaks English pretty well and I am glad for a break from Spanish for a few hours!)
She is actually a really interesting person. She is 35, and has one daughter who is 3 (the father is not in the picture at all). She is a lawyer who fights for causes, usually environmental or social causes. Her mother was arrested and almost tortured for being an informant here in Chile of a political party that was not accepted by the reigning authorities. She asked me alot of questions about my opinions as a citizen of the US. I was glad that I could represent an opinion other than the norm to her. She and I agreed that in general USians ( We cannot be called Americans because all people living in north and south america are American) are ignorant about what is going on in the world. She agreed with me though that we should be slow to place blame on them when the media shows very cafefully crafted stories. Okay, now I am probably going to offend people, but that´s okay. In general, I think people are. Many of my rhetorical criticism classes showed me that. Anyways, we talked about alot and it was really cool. It felt alot like home: having an intellectual conversation about philosophy and politics over a coffe (or in this case over pisco sour). It was also cool because I got a chance to share my opinion of religion with her and talk about the life Jesus led and what His message was about. It felt like home.
Anyways, we totally had a great time and in a few weeks we are going to go to her home in Tongoy with some other friends and spend the weekend at the beach. Once again, I think I am in a novel. This isn´t real life, it can´t be real, can it?

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a wonderful story! The only problem I see with this adventure is that you may end up living in Chile, and then Nigel and I will have to visit you and our grandchildren on the other side of the world... Perhaps I should quit my position as a professor and take a position with a major airline... Hugs, mom
Kallie said…
Seriously,I'm getting so envious of you and your adventures! :) The travel bug is biting hard. I REALLY want to go somewhere...anywhere! Alas, the busy work schedule has thus far prevented it. I did get to go play golf with my friend Joey today (at least I'm making new friends too :) and I ended up meeting the new dishwasher Maria. She is a super sweet mexicana and we ended up exchanging numbers and plan to meet for a little intercambio. She doesn't know very much English and I definitely need to work on my Spanish so it's great! I've decided I'm for sure goin to S America before I start nursing school in May. Now the decision left to make is Chile or Guatemala. Ok well, I'm going to meet up with some friends so for coffee soon so I'm gonna grab a quick shower. Miss you kiddo!
Anonymous said…
Chubs!! oh my gosh i miss you so much! i am so sorry i havent been keeping up with your blogs. i had trouble finding the thing for the longest time, and then a few times, i read but didnt post. anyway, reguardless, i love you so much. i spent a long time today reading all your past blogs, it is just incredible to hear about your time down there. and i cannot believe i have missed 3 of your phone calls!!! ahhhhh! my phone has been on silent alot, being in the classroom so much, and for a while i was forgetting to turn it back on when i got home in the evenings. but it has been such a blessing to hear your voice those few times! i saved the messages so i can listen to them again. anyway, is this the best way to keep in touch? do you have a separate email you want me to use? just let me know, i will be keeping up with you much more, now that i am actually on the site!!! i just love you, and all your stories were just out of this world. the one about your first visit to that church was just wild! you paint quite the vivid picture. ok, well, thats all for now. much love coming at you. -your one and only chubs

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!