Skip to main content

I am off to Santiago

Well, not yet. I am going to finish up my clases de español aca en el proximo martes, y despues voy a viajar. Okay, so today is one of those days that I totally understand spanish. I am going to finish my classes here in La Serena, and then around October 27th or so, I am going to go on a little excursion through Chile. I started planning out my itinerary and I think I am going to start with Viña del Mar for a few days and visit the beautiful Marcela, then proceed down through Chile. I realized that the thing that I love to see the most in these towns are the old churches, so I read through my guide books for some towns that are not as touristy, but have quality old churches (which is pretty much everytown in this country). I also want to try to spend a few days in Temuco which is very metropolitian, but I have been talking to a missionary family there. Then, I will move back up the coast, stopping at a little surf town I heard about. Then off to Santiago for a month to get my TEFL certificate. I will be back in La Serena by Dec 14th.
Also, a REALLY exciting note: I got an email from my old roomies saying that they are planning a trip to come out and visit me!! Ahh!! You don´t even know how much I am so excited for this. I am so excited to show them this country! And hopefully by then I will be able to show off my spanish too. My professors say that I am doing really well and my family cannot believe how much I understand español. Which by the way, spanish is not called español aca, pero se llama castillaño. Yeah, whatever, i am learning spanish. hehe the stubborn side in me just never gives up, does it?
Chao for now, but more to come later...

Comments

Anonymous said…
what's the name of the TEFL school you'll be attending?

your svenska-yiddeshe-momma
Anonymous said…
by the way, ciao is how you write goodbye in italian (not chao). but then, you favor inventive creative spelling, don't you?

p.s. nigel says to please be careful and watch where you are when you travel around. this is probably more an issue when you're in santiago than in the small towns you're visiting, but do take care. a young woman traveling on her own is an easy target.

hugs

mom & nigel
beckalippy said…
For all those who love to worry like my oh so Jewish mother, don´t. I will be very careful when i travel and I have talked to a handful of other single women travelling in SA and they have givne me tips. Oh yeah, and I don´t speak Italian, but I do kinda speak español. gracia mama.

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!