Skip to main content

such a fun night

Okay, so last night was so much fun!
I almost dread friday nights because I am reminded that back at home friday is a great night to hang out with friends, go to the Cliffs (Ashlee), or watch a movie with roomies. And then here I am all stuck in the house because I cannot go out alone, thats not safe and I don´t really have anyone to go out with. So....
a quick explanation of the family I live with. The Fuica´s own the hostel. The couple is Jaime and Lindys. They have a daughter Claudia who is 23 and married to Diego. They have an adorable but fiesty daughter. Jaime and Lindys also have a son who is 21 named Felipe and he and I are pretty good friends. He helps me with my homework and I help translate his English textbooks. There are some trajabador (workers) who live at the hostel, but they are not a part of the family the way I have become. So a few nights ago one of Diego´s friends came over and I remember thinking that he was really cute. Yeah, una problema. Pero, he came over to me and we started talking. he knows a little English and was excited to try it out with me. So then, last night he came over and we had a fiesta. There was no particular reason, in pure latino fashion, "¿porqué no?". The party included the parents, Claudia and her husband, and Alberto and me. So yeah una problema. But the girls in my bible study will appreciate this- I kept my emotional integrity. I stayed with my two drink rule and when 5 in the morning came around and I realized that it was probably time to go to bed, I skipped the normal kiss on the cheek that everyone gives around here when parting.
Alberto is not a Christian, well, he is probably "catholic", but only because he was raised that way. No amount of physical attraction means anything if he is not a follower and lover of Christ, right? Es muy dificil aca. It is very hard here. Hay muchos novios. There are many couples. the battle to keep emotional integrity is harder than ever.
Okay, a little wierd writing this blog and knowing that my parents read it, but I can only be honest here, right? A side note for the parents: at one point last night Alberto said that he wanted to meet you and I laughed. He asked why and I couldn´t explain it to him, I just laughed at the thought of "bringing him home".

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!