Skip to main content

Help! I am trapped in a Jane Austen novel

(This one is going to be long... but good.)
Seriously, I have been hearing quotes in my head from Pride and Prejudice as I experience life here. For this episode the quote from Mrs. Bennet when referring to Mr. Bingly´s behavior toward Jane, "He used her very ill indeed!"

Okay so here is the story. The whole family has spent the week watching Paulo and I, especially my host mom. Everyone was excited to see that we got along well together and that we enjoyed each others company. We even flirted a little, but from what I understood it was not any serious flirtation, but just fun between friends. Well, the week was coming to an end and everyone was waiting for some great romantic moment that I knew would never come. I wasn´t worried, but in a sense a bit amused at the novellic (I don´t think that´s a real word, sorry mom) quality of the situation. Friday night, as I wrote earlier, we went out with his sister and my host brother and sister. We had fun, but no romantic moments.

Saturday came and it was decided that the family would spend its last night together at the Kareoke bar. We all went, except Felipe, and this time Marion, a mid twenty German who is living at the house for three months, came too. I had talked to marion about Paulo before and she had mentioned how nice he was and how she wanted to spend more time with him and his sister. Because Marion works all day, she was only afforded a few minutes each night to talk to Paulo, but I could tell that she thought very highly of him, and was very possibly attracted to him. At the Kareoke bar they sat next to each other, and I next to her. It was that night that I realized how much I was truly not even the slightest bit attracted to him and I had just been using him in a sense to have fun for the week. But I saw how Marion liked him. The family seemed confused that Paulo and I were not sitting together and continuously urged us to sing a song together. I declined time and time again, hoping that Marion and Paulo would get a chance to be together. It seemed like it worked. The two of them spent most of the night talking and singing. I spent the night watching the two in anticipation and hope. At one point I shared my thoughts with Carolina, the sister of Paulo. She smiled and agreed and together we secretly watched the two.

The whole week had been spent flirting with me and raising the hopes of the family, when in reality it seemed he had fallen for Marion. The next mornig came with sadness as Paulo and Carolina packed their bags to go home. I went to church and promised to return before they left so I could say goodbye. As I was returning, I ran into Paulo and Marion on the street. I must admit I was a bit surprised, but pleased to think that they would get a chance to talk in private without the family watching. When they returned I noticed no huge difference in Marion, but then again she is German and in general she is not very expressive. I asked her after the party had left for the bus station about her time with Paulo and commented that I thought they would make a very handsome couple. She smiled sadly and began to tell me the story.

Paulo had approached her that morning and asked if she wanted to go for a walk before he left. She did and they set off. After running into me on the street, they continued on walking around the deserted streets. He asked her if she had a boyfriend. She didn´t. He asked her where she would eventually want to live. She wasn´t sure yet. All these questions seemed to be pointing in the right direction. He seemed to be setting the foundation for another question. She, only thinking of politness and not actually expecting an unknown answer, returned the questions and asked if he had a girlfriend. With all of the family being so determined for he and I to be together, and for a whole week of flirting, there was no way he could have a girlfriend. The question was one of mere formality, politeness. He answered yes. he has a girlfriend and they have been together for seven years.

As Marion relayed the story to me over tea at the little table in the kitchen, I sat there in disbelief. No, it couldn´t be true. This whole week, he had said nothing! Nothing! I was first shocked and then soon angry. Yes, angry that he had not said anything to me or anything to his family as they talked about us. But mostly angry because he had treated Marion very ill. HE had led her on. I was playful and we both knew it, our flirtations meant nothing. But Marion is quite and reserved. Her time with Paulo was not nothing. And so, he is gone and I have few regrets that he has left. If he lied about having a girlfriend, he is an idiot and I do not understand him. IF it is true, he is not being fair to her. And in my opinion, he was not fair to Marion, either. "He used her very ill indeed!"

As for me, my Mr. Darcy is on his way soon. I am sure of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!