Skip to main content

mi zapatos de california

Two of my closest friends, Ashlee and Kallie, both spent a quarter studying in Spain. And I remember hearing them talk about their experience and saying that it had not been what they had expected. It is easy to have these romantic notions about what another culture, especially a latin culture will be like. And so knowing this, i tried not to build up romantic notions in my head and to not have any preconcived notions of Chile before I came (except my Chilean Prince!). And as I have now lived in Chile for almost two months, I can say that there are times when the humdrum of life seems too thick here, and then there are times when I am walking down the street and it hits me, "I´m in Chile". It sounds funny, but sometimes I forget that I am in another country. Sometimes I forget that I am una extrañjera.
And then some culture shock hits me and reminds me that I am different. It happened today. There is one part of my cultural identity that I am not willing to give up. No, I can give up my language. I can give up my personal bubble that people burst everytime they greet my with a kiss on the cheek. I can give up alot. But I am not going to give up my flip flops. That´s right. I was born and raised in California, the land of flipflops, and I am proud to wear them. My time spent at university only made my love for flipflops grow. I remember multiple occasions when the weather turned stormy and the rain was coming down fiercly, yet people wore flip flops. There was always the debate about uggs and miniskirts, which I have to agree with the oppostion, it is just wrong. But flip flops, flip flops are beautiful with all outfits and in all occassions. i even have friends who got married in flip flops.
So today I decided that I was tired of wearing shoes. I got dressed and slipped on some flip flops, cute tan ones with small white beads on them. As I left the house I noticed my family looking at my feet in wonder. It was foggy, but not cold outside, perfect weather for flipflops. As I walked down the street i encountered the normal guys looking at me, but this time after scanning my body (yeah, not my favorite activity) they ended up staring at my feet! It was so funny. I have no clue what went through their minds, but suddenly my blonde hair was not very important. i was wearing flipflops! Needless to say, I will continue to take pride in my flipflops and i believe that no matter how much time I spend in this country, and how Chileana I become, i will hold dear to my flipflops. mi zapatos de california.

P.S. As much as I love Alex Ubago, a part of my heart will always belong to Damien Rice. Does anyone know if he has a new cd coming out soon?

Comments

Anonymous said…
what are uggs?
i agree with you about flipflops.
i almost wore them to the white house (for my presidential award), but then chickened out and bought proper shoes.

the only other shoes i feel are worthy of this kind of adoration are clogs. great for rain and snow when flipflops may be less comfortable.

besos

mom
beckalippy said…
Mommy, Uggs are these snow boots that are a little furry on the outside (i am not sure how to describe the material) and they sometimes have a little bit of fluff on the inside.
I think it would have been very hippy of you to wear the flipflops to the White House. But then again, what would George W. think of a hippy in his house?

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!