Skip to main content

Tear gas or something

"Police arrested more than 160 demonstrators in Santiago, as parts of the capital city’s main Alameda thoroughfare were transformed into battlegrounds between police and rock-throwing protestors. And, as occurred last week, there were outcries alleging excessive police force."

This is an exert from the English newspaper here in Santiago. And I being a silly gringa wasn't thinking about where the strikes were happening. I was trying to get to the metro station today and I walked straight into this whole police-student war. It rained today and the streets were slippery so I was walking carefully. Suddenly, a hundred teenagers were running past me pushing and pulling each other to get away from something ahead of me. i didn't know what was going on, but before I knew it, I inhaled air filled with some chemical that burned my throat and nose like no other. i don't think it was tear gas because it didn't hurt my eyes, but boy oh boy did it hurt my throat. Before I get phone calls from worried parents, and grandparents, please hear me out. i am not in danger here. not any more than the hippies protesting against Vietnam were. It was scary yes, but after finding my way out of the crowd and into the metro, i was fine. A little sore throat and maybe a burning nose, but basically fine. And really, i admore these students for standing up for their rights. Many of them are loosing their winter vacation that is coming up because they will need to make up their lost class time. But stillthey protest. And they are being heard. With the whole country protesting now, the congressis meeting tomorrow to discuss the demands of the students.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was waiting to see you post something about this! The protests in Chile were discussed on the radio yesterday (okay, perhaps it was the BBC, but still!).

You're living in exciting times!

mom

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!