Skip to main content
So much has been going on over the last few weeks. There is nothing truly monumental, but the little pieces of life seem to be moving mightily. Because it's past midnight, and I should be going to bed, Im going to brush over the pieces. Sorry for the lack of depth, but maybe with these large brush strokes you can see the quick and steady current of my life.

Over the last two weeks, I have been praying for some of my friends. I've been carrying around a prayer journal and using my spare minutes to pray throughout the day. It's been a deep blessing in my life and I have found myself praying more and more as the days go on.
One of the biggest blessings of the prayer was in the Lord blessing me with the opportunity to pray as part of the service this Sunday. I don't take anything I do for the church lightly, so what could have been just a simple and easy prayer turned into an hour of reading my bible, reflecting on what kind of prayer would best serve and lead the church, a small but real moment of fear of man, an almost withdrawing from the responsibility, and then finally a realization that any fear I have is a fear of man. For God gives me the right to pray, because of HIS righteousness.

I started having an asthma attack the friday before my birthday. So its been over a week of wheezing and coughing. Its allergies, and I got myself to the dr. who put me on a steroid inhaler. It's working, kinda. But it does mean that I spend my day feeling my lower lungs wheezing as I breathe in and out. Feels almost like my stomach grumbling, but its my lungs.

We have a visitor at our church right now. His name is Howard and he is a friend of one of the guys in the church. He is only here for a few weeks (he leaves this friday) but he has been such a breath of fresh air. He works with small groups at Covenant Life Church in DC (it's CJ Mahaney's church). He has been helping the guys with their accountability group, and even giving us some guidance for our girls group. But even more than the logistical help, he has been refreshing because the guy just quotes scripture. Every time I have asked him anything, his answer is always half just scripture quotes. It's cool. It's a good reminder of what our sure foundation is. I realized in my conversations with him that I know a lot of theology, and in many ways, its good theology (or so I think!) but my intake of the Word is so low. I seem to have forgotten that my joy and peace come from the Gospel that is proclaimed through these very scriptures. I doubt their power in my life. And really, let's call it for what it is. My attitude toward the scripture- laziness, disbelief, and apathy- is sin. This realization has driven me appropriately to the Lord and His Word. I have been praying for a renewed love for His Word.

Beyond these things, the in and out of each day has been quite the same. I am still plugging away at work, learning to love the kids better, trying to not think too hard about the educational philosophy that I am promoting by being here.

My desire to return to Chile has been tempered by the realization that I wont be moving around much more after this, that I feel like a season of settling down is coming.
My desire to serve others, especially in my church, has been so fulfilled with the Lord bringing incredible opportunities for me to lay down my life in small ways for people in my life.
And my desire for a husband... well, that's always there. I am still praying that God would teach me to glorify Him, to believe that His goodness extends into every season.

I have some solid blog posts on some of these issues, but they will have to be for another night. For now, I go to sleep, knowing that my rest is in the One whose angels encamp around me.
Goodnight!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hiiii!

I got your letter! I was SO excited! THANK YOU BECKA!!
As for the inhaler. I take one of those - it really has to get into your system before it will work - so give it a while.
xoxxoxoxoxoxo

carlos

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!