Skip to main content

New Moon in the City

I got home from work today around six and felt the waves of sleep threatening to wash over me. If I slept, even just a little nap, I would ruin any chance of good rest tonight. So before I surrendered to the tiredness that ached through my bones, I grabbed an umbrella and ran out the door. I would find a bookstore and read the second Twilight book, New Moon. Ok, confession time. I am totally obsessed with these books. I remember hearing about them and thinking how silly vampire romance books sound. I had decided against the popular trend. That is, until I saw the movie. Once I saw it, I had to read the books. I mean, the fact alone that I watched the movie three times in one day is slightly pathetic enough to make it worth the jump into obsession. So I read the first book, all five hundred pages, in two days. I couldn't put it down. Then, I read the fifth book (which is the first book told from another perspective). Those three hundred pages took me one night. So as I walked out the door, the thought of reading the second book was making my search for a bookstore all the more exciting. Unfortunatly the bookstore that googlemaps claimed was only a few blocks from me, wasn't there at all. So I headed to one I knew existed, even though it meant an extra 20 minutes of walking. It was raining slightly, but I didn't mind. The moisture in the air rushed into my lungs as I breathed in deeply. I've been oddly moved by the humidity since I returned from Philly. It makes me feel close, like I'm being hugged by the air. I feel more alive now then I have in a long time.
I finally arrived at the bookstore and set out to find my beloved books. I walked over to the fiction section of the store. Hmm.... vampire romance...would it be under romance? Or fantasy? They weren't in either. I was too embarrassed to ask for help so I went over to a computer kiosk and looked it up myself. Oh... Young Adult. That would make sense. I sheepishly smiled to myself as I walked up the stairs to the Young Adult section. There they were. Easy to find.
I sat down in a corner with a copy of New Moon and made myself comfortable. I figured if it was only seven I could get a few hours of reading in before the store closed. About a hundred pages in, I found myself wiping tears from my eyes. This was embarrassing. Crying in the middle of a Borders bookstore, reading Twilight! But I couldn't help it. The detoriation of the relationship in the book felt way too close to home. I pulled my hood over my head and bent over the book, hoping no one would notice my emotional state.
I made it to page 155 before the announcement came over the loud speaker. It was 10pm and the store was closing. I gathered my things, carefully placed the book back on the shelf and headed out the doors. The security guard smiled at me and wished me a good night. As I stepped outside, I noticed that the rain had stopped. The air was still damp, and now slightly cool. I clutched my purse close to my side and made my way out into the street. I guessed that a quick bus ride up 3rd Ave would be the easiest way home. I ran to catch a bus, my flip flops were wet some the excess water in the streets. I made it to the bus and sat down in the front. It would be a short ride. The men sitting across from me were reminiscing about a day a few years ago when the taxi drivers went on strike. Evidently the taxis are ugly to them. I like the taxis though. I smiled. To each his own.
This breakup has really done a number on me. I used to love being with people, laughing really loud. I was reflective, but only after the fact. These days, I seem to avoid people. I just would rather sit in the humid air. Breathing in slowly. I'm sure it will change and I will be a social butterfly soon enough. But for now, it is really a treasure to enjoy this time. There are no strings attached. Just as it is.

Comments

Julie said…
Haha!!! :) I knew you'd be hooked...they're so good. I wish she'd write another one. Ugh.

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!