Skip to main content

with the flu... and thinking of Ashlee

Some things happen when I'm sick.


first, I rest. Usually when I get sick, it's because I've worked myself too hard and my body is making me rest. And I enjoy the break from my crazy life. I sleep, watch tv, read all those "fun" books that I've put off for too long.


second, I lie in bed thinking, probably way too much, about life.


This flu is pushing day 8 now and I'm ready for it to end. There isn't much I'm missing right now, and if I'm honest, this was actually good timing since I have a fairly open schedule right now. And really, I should be working on my thesis, which I will start as soon as I finish this post. But I'm tired of feeling drained. I want my energy back. I want to be out of bed for more than an hour and not feel exhausted. I want to walk outside in the sunshine and deeply breathe in the crisp air. I want to feel like myself again!


So today's posting, flu posting at that, is dedicated to Ashlee.

I tried to use what little energy I had today to clean my room. I came upon some mix cds Ashlee made me for Christmas. What a treasure! These songs, ranging from Disney classics to our favorite Ciara dance mix, have made my day.

As I listened to the cds I thought about what an incredible friend Ashlee is and what a blessing she has been in my life. To have a friend who knows you and loves you, all your quirks, sins, faults, inside jokes, everything. And yet, one thought of her brings a smile to my face. Too many memories. Really funny ones, sad ones, and everywhere in between.
I was talking to Michelle this weekend about friendships and how as we change, our friendships change. Sometimes, as we grow and change, our friends from the past have a hard time dealing with it. They don't recognize us anymore. We aren't just older versions of past selves, we are changed, and they can't understand it. This can be heart breaking, to see a friend who meant the world to you ask you why you're acting so weird. And you know that you are just being yourself.
I have been so blessed to have a few friends who no matter what time passes, are there for the long haul. If I had to explain it, my best guess would be that the Lord is growing them and changing them in similar ways. So we still recognize each other. Changes aren't questioned, but rejoiced over.
Ashlee is one of these friends. We have been through so many life changing stages together, and with God being such a focal point of our friendship, it seems like there is little that surprises me about us. College, two different bible studies, Wildwood NJ, and of course Chile. And now, even when thousands of miles separate us, I feel like I saw her yesterday at Starbucks. Anyhow, this is to you Ashlee. Thanks for all your love and prayers. You are the truest sister.
ps- the photo is from our first trip to NYC... going old school!

Comments

Unknown said…
I <3 Ash too, but I can't really say she is the first thing that comes to mind when I'm in bed with the flu :p

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!