Skip to main content

The Starbucks Standard

I went to a birthday party in Queens on Monday. You could tell the neighborhood was newly hip. Here in New York, it seems like we mere humans are never rich enough to afford living in the city, so we comute in from the various boroughs. And as more and more of us move out into the boroughs, the boroughs become more and more hip. As I was walking through this neighborhood with my friend Diana, the comment was shared that you can judge the safety of a neighborhood by the presence of a Starbucks. Right then, as we turned the corner, we saw one. Starbucks, proclaiming that this neighborhood must indeed be safe.



I've been thinking about my future (no conclusions yet, though) and I realize that should I stay here in New York past June I will need to seek residence somewhere outside of Manhattan. Of course, a miracle might happen and I might find myself still living on the island, but truth be told, it might be nice to live in a borough. I was thinking about the Starbucks safety test. Is it true? Can you judge the safety of a neighborhood by the presence of a Starbucks Coffeehouse?



Well, I have some thoughts on the issue: Starbucks is expensive and it takes a fairly good and steady income to afford a coffee drink at $4.00. And the company is smart. They aren't going to open a store in a neighborhood where people can't afford to buy the drinks. So, it is fairly safe to say that any neighborhood that Starbucks invests in is probably on the rise.



So here is where I ask: is it good for a Christian, for someone who is seeking the shalom or peace of the city and the people in it, to purposefully live in the upper crust? Should we make sure we move into safe neighborhoods? or do we make sure that the neighborhoods we live in are becoming safe places through our presence and fight for justice? I have a general idea of those who read the blog (I have a site meter) so I know that some of you live in safer neighborhoods and some in not so safe neighborhoods. What do you think? What does society say on the issue and what does the Bible say on the issue?

Comments

Carolyne said…
Well you know what Tim Keller says: stick to the city because that's where the most people are. The boroughs are suburbia in a way. Starbucks or no Starbucks. If you find a borough with a Peet's Coffeehouse, then that's your sign from heaven!

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!