Skip to main content

Psalm 86:1-13

A Prayer of David.
Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy.
Preserve my life, for I am godly;save your servant, who trusts in you—you are my God.
Be gracious to me, O Lord,for to you do I cry all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,abounding in steadfast love to all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer;listen to my plea for grace.
In the day of my trouble I call upon you,for you answer me.
There is none like you among the gods, O Lord,nor are there any works like yours.
All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord,and shall glorify your name.
For you are great and do wondrous things;you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,that I may walk in your truth;unite my heart to fear your name.
I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart,and I will glorify your name forever.
For great is your steadfast love toward me;you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol.


This psalm is ministering to my soul today as I face the weight of disappointment. I received a letter this afternoon from Hope for New York informing me that they have chosen another candidate for the position of Volunteer Coordinator. I didn't realize how much I had placed my hope in this job until the door was slammed in my face. So for the last few hours, I have knelt before the Lord, asking Him to be the lifter of my head. To remind me that my hope is not set in any job, but in Him. To comfort me in the denial of a desire for this job by bringing my heart back to desiring Him. I trust Him. I trust that He is good and His goodness extends into every crevice of my life, even when I see disappointment, He is working out His will. He will provide. He is abundant in lovingkindness, the one who gladdens my soul, the one who hears my prayers, and He alone is God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!