Thursday, July 17, 2008

some movement of the Holy Spirit

In the last 24 hours I have been twice given the opportunity to serve others, to put others before myself. My church called and said that they needed someone to teach the 3 year old class. And to be honest, I hesitated. Not for any good reason, but just because I wanted my summer sundays to myself. And I could have said no. I could have asked for a more glorious job at the church. But I knew God was softly whispering His rebuke, calling me to serve before being served, to give before receiving glory. So I agreed to help in the way that my church needed. And I knew as soon as I said yes, that I had done the right thing. Serving would be the biggest blessing.
And then today my roommate asked me to help some of her friends pack to move to Texas. I really didn't want to. I didn't have any plans but wanted to spend the evening selfishly sitting on my couch. But I tried to find any valid reason to not help these people, and nothing came but the Lord's reminder that serving is a blessing. So I went tonight and spent a few hours helping a couple who are moving to Texas to pastor a church. And you know what? It WAS a blessing. Truly there is blessing in serving. As someone who all too often jumps straight into the spotlight, I need the reminder that our Savior was a servant. He loved so much that He gave up His own life to save us.

No comments: