Skip to main content

a lofty calling indeed

“Whatever “call” a man may pretend to have, if he has not been called to holiness, he certainly has not been called to the ministry” Spurgeon letters p. 9

“Our own hearts are deceitful so that truth lies not on the surface but must be drawn up from the deepest well.” Spurgeon lettersp.9

I have never been more convinced of the lofty calling of pastors. And indeed it must be a calling. For a pastor must have so many of certain qualities, and certain temperaments that for the incredible combination to be present in any one man, it must be truly grace from the hand of God.
First, any minister of the Lord must be saved. This requirement alone places the man in the most blessed of all positions. No man should call forth another into a land he has not been himself.
Second, the man must be godly for he must be a light to his congregation. He must exemplify holiness and righteousness in his public and personal life. There are many who know of the Lord’s salvation and yet hold on to their old ways. If they are indeed saved, they shall escape the flames of hell if only by an inch. But a minister of the Lord must have a life that has been through and through transformed by the grace and mercy of His Holiness.
No minister will be perfect in his personal holiness and therefore he must be humble before the Lord. His desire to be holy will only be completed by his humbling of himself before the Almighty Lord, declaring his righteousness the work of the Lord Himself. This attribute is vital. For any minister who works for his own glory has no place in the kingdom. His very understanding of the Gospel is false and leads to death. For it is by grace he has been saved. The works that Lord prepared for His followers are to be done in humility.
There are many more requirements upon those chosen for the work of ministry, but to list them would be a task far too great for this blog. These primary qualifications are more than enough to show the seriousness of the calling to ministry. It must not be taken lightly but indeed tested and proved to be the true calling in one’s life. There is no amount of prestige, power, or honor that a man should pursue in the title of minister outside of the true calling of the Lord to that blessed position.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!