Skip to main content

Maturity

My prayer life sucks. Basically I have commited to sitting out on my balcony for the last 15-20 minutes of every night and praying. And it has felt so uncomfortable, like talking to an old friend for the first time after years of not seeing them. I don't know what to say to God. I don't know how to praise Him. I look at the stars, and I feel awe, but not connected to this Creator I have come to admire, serve, and love. So I pray anyways and ask for forgiveness for my cold heart. I started this practice a little over a week ago, and each night, my talks with God become more natural, my praise more heart felt. And I have seen the effects of this choice in other areas. God speaks (or I listen to Him) more during the day.
I have been facing some interesting questions recently about my future. And in answering my questions, I know what my answer would have been a few years ago. And although they are the first answers that come to mind, I find myself answering differently, and these answers seem to be marked by a maturity that I don't have yet. But maybe I am in the process of growing. I am learning what it means to serve the Lord. What it means to know yourself, to know your limitations, to know your gifts, and to allow the Lord to work through them. To submit yourself to the Holy Spirit. To see an opportunity and before rushing into it, to consider well the implications of that decision. To consciously invest in your gifts and talents, and to take risks. To love life, and not run away from what it calls you to do.
I was talking to my friend Jason about some decisions and he made a comment about how we gringas are always changing our lives. Like one year we say we will live in the US, and the next year in Chile, and then a few months later in Cambodia. And it's true, kinda. There are so many people my age who are taking advantage of our great placement in life. We have the means and opportunities to travel. We have the desire to see the world, to know other people, other cultures. And I have been a part of that. And I have helped others be a part of that.
And yet, I find myself with the opportunity (and a little restlessness in my heart) to move on. Not to let myself get too comfortable in my life here in Chile. Maybe Brazil (with you, Aviva). Or maybe Africa. Who knows where I could go. And I could find an excuse to go there. But I think God might be calling me to grow up. To just do something. Don't get me wrong, I am SO glad I took the risk of coming out here all on my own. I am glad God called me out here to Chile. But before I continue my "out on the open road" youthful dreams, I am starting to think that God might want to just use me where I am. I'm still not sure what all this means. But I can feel God pulling me into something new. Something old actually. It almost feels like He is telling me to put away those childish things, and to focus on Him.
One of the things that I am thinking about it seminary. Yep, I'll definitly back into my 3 month cycle of wanting to be in seminary. What would I study? It reminds me of my desire for a tattoo. I want one, I know that, but I can't decide what drawing I would want. And I can't get one, until I am sure that I want that drawing. Same with seminary. I am pretty sure that I will go. But I can't go, I can't even apply until I know what I want to study. And then I hit the big question... what type of ministry do I want to do. After thinking and praying (woohoo! prayer rocks!) I have realized more of less where I want to work: in Urban Missions with a focus on Women's Discipleship. Yeah. Or at least for this week, that is where I am.

P.S. Kallie, you rock my world. I feel you babe!

Comments

Kallie said…
I can't wait to see where he takes you Becka. I am comitting to pray for you in this time. In the meantime, do me a favor and at least drop an application for WTS?

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!