Skip to main content

the good things I have learned

I was thinking in the mirco (bus) on my way home from work tonight as I watched the sunset over the pollutioned hills... and I thought, I have learned so much from living here. I almost think it is like a culture shock. They say that there are two common times to get a culture shock when living in a new country: the first month and about 9 months into your stay. Well I have now completed 14 months here in Chile. I don't like to describe what I am feeling as shock, since that implies a negative experience. And in all honesty, nothing that I am experiencing is new information to me. But I am just now seeing how these cultural differences effect my life personally. And that is where I think the shocking part comes in.
I will give two examples:
1) The fact that many people my age date not because they are really commited to that person (and please, chilenos, don't try to argue with me, I am just comparing the system of thought to that in the US). Basically in the US, you might go on a date with someone, but you don't really date unless you want to be with that person. And here in CHile, (AND UNDERSTAND THAT I AM NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WRONG OR RIGHT) but they date here more jsut because everyone is dating someone. Really, I was shocked to find out from some of my married or seriously dating friends that they were both dating someone else when they met and then they broke up sometime after and started dating. Now I know this happens in the states, but jsut trust me that there is a different mentality here toward dating. Now this comes into play not in my own dating life (no chileno prince come to sweep me off my feet yet!) but in the way I give cousel to friends. And I have been realizing that I need to change my view on dating. I need to aculturate my thoughts. Hard.
2)Affection. For those of you who don't know me very well (or for those of you who do, but haven't heard about this part of my life) I will let you in a little personal Becka info here. I am a very touchy person. I guess I am what they call regalona here which means touchy and loving. But when I was 16 I got involved with a guy (nothing too serious, but to my 16 year old mind it was serious). But basically this guy was very touchy feely and he scared me. I won't go into details, but my relationship him was not good for my affection and since then I have a hard time with affection and guys. Well, the point of this little story is to say that being here in Chile where it is rude not to kiss someone on teh cheek when you meet them, and where generally the people are just very open with their affection, it has been good. I love being affectionate and I can feel God healing me and teaching me to love people with affection without being scared.
So I have been learning a lot. I have seen God changing my heart and teaching me a lot. I also see how my training in intercultural communication has helped me approach culture very slow to judge as bad or good. Just different.

Comments

Kallie said…
It's funny I always think I'm really open to new ways of thinking and doing things until I come across people who think and do things differently than me :) It's like how people like free speech until they're offended. Praise God that he breaks down barriers that we don't even know we have. It was great talking to you the other day!
Anonymous said…
becka! so one of my good friends here in denver (lori) is considering moving down to argentina with her husband to teach english in a few months ... i told her about you, and assured her that you'd love to talk with her about how much you love south america and gave her your blog address / email address. presumptuous yes, but not unrealistic i hope!

consider this your fair warning in case you get an email or comment from a girl named lori who says she knows me.

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!