Skip to main content

today is the day!!

So today is the day i leave to return to the good ol' US of A. I can't believe I amleaving. really I think it hasn't hit me yet. I have packed up everything and repacked my bag (I am brinigng more gifts than clothes!) An airport van is going to pick me up at 5:20 and my plane leaves at 8:40 tonight. I will arrive in New York tomorrow morning and be greeted by an old friend I haven't seen in years (THANKS DIANA!) Anyways, here are some of the highlights from the past few days...
Saturday- went to an Irish friends birthday and met her mom and sister. WHile talking to her mom I was confused when she kept saying, "it was fain". I thought, now what inthe world could that mean... fine! oh, now I understand!
We went out dancing after that but never acually made it inthe club. Instead we went to get some drinks and then we headed to burger King where we hungout until 3am. Sound like we are 16 or what?
Sunday, our new friend Humberto (from Bolivia) came to church with us. I felt really blessed to see God using Ash and I to minister to the friends He has given us. I really hope Humberto continues to come with us.
Later on Sunday, Seba and I had a prety intense and important conversation about God and what it means to be a Christian. And after the really intense conversation, Ashlee and I went to our haven of joy and peace... Dunkin Donuts... jeje
Monday I went to work and yada yada yada.
Tuesday Ash and I made a little field trip to the US embassy. We had to hold our tongues from making our usual jokes about gringos. It is a really pretty embassy and very well kept, but we were wondering where the huge statue of George W. is? I mean really, folks, where IS our tax money going if not to that?? (Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes!)
That night, Yessy on of my chilena girlfriends threw me a surprise going away party. The theme? Guacamole. Yep, she made all this guacamole for me. Sweet, really.
Wednesday I made my way over to the Ministerio de Extranjeros (for us foreigners) and asked them about getting temporary residency here instead of a work visa.
I got frustrated with the system and while telling Seba my frustrations, we decided to look into opening our own institute. I will provide the gringos and he the clients (anyone interested??)
And last night I got to hang out with Ali (the Orthodox Jew girl from Queens). She and I sat on the floor of my living room as I packed (or repacked) my suitcase again.
And today... I am at work for a few hours.... then I will shower and straighten my hair.... then I will say my final goodbyes to Ash who hasn't gotten a breath of air away from me for the last 4 months... and I'M OFF!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!