Skip to main content

those silly Canadians!

So I teach the Louis Vuitton executives here in Chile and one of my students recently went to Canada for a big international Louis Vuitton Hoopla. So here is her story... She finally gets to the airport in Canada and as she is coming off the plane, a security guard pulls her aside and informs her that she will need to be searched and questioned. She has been taking English classes for years now and can hardly speak a word. And the whole thing is in English... great. So they take all her luggage out (all five pieces of luggage for a 5 day trip!) and as they are searching through her belongings, they find 8 pairs of shoes. And they become very suspicous. My guess is that they thought she was trying to get into the country to live there. What person brings 8 pairs of shoes to a 5 day trip?? So they are asking her and asking her, and she is trying to explain in her broken English that she works for Louis Vuitton and of course she has to have a pair of shoes for the day and one for the nights when they go out. And she can't wear the same pair every day, so she needs 8 pairs for the 5 days.
I am laughing as she tells me this story, and she suddenly gets really defensive and she explains to me that being the one respresentative from Chile, she can't speak English, but she sure can dress well. I can just picture her at the international border trying to explain all her luggage including her 8 pairs of shoes, and telling this group of men searching her luggage that she works for Louis Vuitton, so OBVIOUSLY she is going to have 8 pairs of shoes for 5 days. Those silly Canadians!

Comments

Anonymous said…
that's funny!

and by contrast, there's me -- i head to europe for a three-week trip, all in one carry-on bag, with exactly two pairs of shoes: clogs (not quite a fashion item) and flip-flops.

your fashionably different mom

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!