Skip to main content

some randomness

I have been storing up little thoughts on the people here in Santiago, and I would like to share them now...
There is a man who works in an apartment building near mine that has the same huge lower lip that my grandpa has. I walk by him everyday on the way to the gym as he is sweeping up the leaves off the sidewalk and I always want to hug him (I haven't given in to that urge yet).
There is another viejito (little old man) who washes cars along one of the streets that I take who gives me a huge smile everytime I pass by. I get a cheery buenos dias senorita and I smile back and return the greeting. Just thinking about him makes me smile...
Yesterday on the metro a man was correcting the classified section of the newspaper with a red pen.
Another man in a business suit was looking at some song lyrics on a piece of paper and eventually he began to hum then, which led to him singing them outloud on the metro train. I was amused, the man correcting the newspaper was not.
It is supposed to be winter vacation this week, but it is so warm that I keep finding myself laying out by the pool at the gym soaking in the sun (of course with tons of sunblock mom). And yet.. when I wear flip flops to go across the street to Big John (our local version of 7 eleven), the people stare at me like I am nuts.

On a great note: Ash and I do Bible study together on tuesdays and this week I started studying my bible at 7 and around 11 I stopped. I took a break to warm up some dinner but in general, we had a nice long bible study. Now, I am not going to say that legnth means quality, but who would argue that a four hour chat with a friend over coffee isn't better than 20 minutes? I read through most of the Pauline letters. I originally sat down to find verses for a friend in want of some Biblical counseling, but found the Holy Spirit convicting me in every turn. I sat there amazed at God's Word, that after so much time, He still speaks. It was so refreshing!

Comments

Anonymous said…
i really like your observations of people there. perhaps you should get that old man's life story, and then post it on your blog... (with his permission, of course)

by the way, many young people in amsterdam wear flip-flops. and i think i remember seeing this in paris as well. so you're just letting them in on international fashion (exported from California, of course). you're a trend-setter!

see you soon!

love

mom
Anonymous said…
Here are some links that I believe will be interested
Anonymous said…
Keep up the good work » » »

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!