Skip to main content

a "boyfriend"

Yeah, not really. About two months ago, a guy who I had seen often on the streets selling illegal videos approached me and asked if we could be friends. Well, he asked if we could go out sometime, and I explained to him that while nothing more than friendship would ever exist between us, that I am always open for making friends. He is really a nice guy and I am sure we would have fun if we went out for a drink. Anyways, we have never actually hung out, but we talk every few days when I run into him along the street. So anyways, I ran into him on the street again tonight. We started talking and he told me that he had missed me this weekend. I laughed and replied that he couldn't have missed me, he doesn't even know me. And as we talked tonight, I realized that he thought he had a chance with me. (what gave it away?? I think the big clue was when he basically pulled me in for a hug and then started kissing my neck- BIG wake up call!) And I explained to him very clearly that there was no way that anything would happen. I hope he got the picture.
So i was talking to a friend tonight about it and he asked me why I wouldn't give the guy a chance. And I realized that although this guy says he likes me and that he misses me, the things that I want a guy to be attracted to about me, this guy has never seen. And I can't imagine him really being attracted to those things. Like the fact that the most popular terms in my vocabulary are random, accountability, and emotional integrity. That I joke about husband hunting in the halls of Westminster (totally a joke you guys!) Or the fact that I research random theological topics (my newest is New Perspectivism). Basically that I am one of the biggest nerds on this planet. So as I was explaining to my friend the reason why this guy doesn't have a chance, I realized that I want nothing short of a guy who will appreciate these things. So Jorge, I hate to break it to you, but unless you can argue over the 39 articles with me, there is no future for us. Anyways, this whole thing is a good reminder of why I am waiting. I know, some of you are going to comment (eh hum, mom) about how i should just go out and have fun. And I do. I am not going to sit at home in black reading Reader's Digest while my friends go out, but I don't want to even pretend to have something romantic, unless it really is. Someday the prince(hopefully he will look like Colin Firth) will come riding up to me on his horse and we will ride into the sunset...

Comments

Unknown said…
Ahh..riding off into the sunset.

I guess the problem is we were all told fairy tales when we were kids, and we expect love to really be idilic as all that.

Love is awesome, makes you do crazy things and is a beautiful gift from God. Yet, and if I may be so bold as to disagree, let's not forget that Loving another person is the biggest challenge ever for everyone of us. Unfortunately we're not at a point where it comes natural to us. We have to remember to add the ingredient "sin" to our fairy tales. Wow...suddenly the scenario looks different.

Enter Jesus Christ. He Loves like no other, and , thankfully gives us the strength to follow in His footsteps.

And the guy was single.

I think the most romantic things are simple moments with "the other"... I think ordinary-looking radical love (especially within the marriage union) is a lot more romantic, beautiful and yet honest, sincere, and real... no sunsets for me (although I DO love them).

I have to stop using Shane-vocabulary... what happened to "other-centeredness"?

Ok...Sam is done with his ramblings...

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!