Skip to main content

Happy Birthday to ME!!!!

For those of you who don't know, on May 29th 1983 I was born to Dave Lipkowitz and Kimmen Sjolander at Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco at 7:57 in the morning. Today is my 23rd birthday and I have to admit that if the year can be predicted at all by the birthday, this will be a great year. Right now it is only 7:30 in the morning and besides the great birthday hug from Ashlee this morning, there hasn't been too much happening today. But really my birthday started friday. As you all know from my previous blog, friday was a great day full for blessings (I consider those to be my presents from God!) After I wrote my blog on friday I went to Youth group at my church, as I do every friday. THis last week I have been praying about the guys at youth group. I really wanted the chance to hang out with them outside of church, but I wanted them to invite Ashlee and I, not the other way around. And friday night they did. Sam, one of the leaders asked me if I would want to hang out sometime outside of youth group and if he could call me to hang out saturday. So saturday night we met up and went to one of his friends' house. We played a game called Dudo which is a chilean dice game similar to poker. Sam and i were partners and got to talking. Seriously, you guys, I think i met a guy who might care more about theology than I do. Ashlee was making fun of me with the group because I sometimes do "theological equations" in my head when I am on the bus, and Sam told me that he does them too! So we talked about dispensationalism, the emergent church, in influence of Calvin's followers in the anglican church's formation, etc. etc... What a blessing to find someone who not only will listen to my rambles about theology and church history, but who can actually teach something in the subjects!
And the blessings continue...Earlier on Saturday Ashlee and I had the chance to go to a woman's retreat with our church. The group had age ranges from us younger adults to women who had to be in their late 80's. And we all sat around and had tea together. So sweet the fellowship of the body of Christ! Then on Sunday morning, Ashlee (who got it in her head that my birthday is a week long event!) took me out to breakfast at New York Bagels. So over lattes and bagels we talked and shared and laughed. I could not be more blessed to have her here with me! How many of my friends have actually seen me through so much of my growth as a person and even more so, as a Christian? (Chubs, of course you have seen bascially all of it!)
And then after church, which by the way was once again a great message about letting the Word of Christ dwell in you richly (Colossians 3:16), Ashlee and met up with two of our friends who have become our family here, Birgit and Allison, and we went out for Indian food. And boy oh boy was it delicious!!!
At the end of the day, I crawled into bed and spent some time just journaling, reflecting, reading the Bible, and praying. The perfect way to spend my last few hours of being 22 years old.
And now today... I will work basically all day, but after work the party begins... 8:30 Bravisimo Ice Cream Parlor, me and my friends.

Comments

Rach said…
Feliz Cumpleanos mi amor!!! Te extrano tan mucho este dia mi amor!!! Te envio muchos besos para este dia tambien!!!! Ciao!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
yay! do you feel wiser! man could you ever have predicted you'd be in south america at the age of 23 sheesh. life is so unpredicatible, awesome no?

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!