Skip to main content

Graeme Goldsworthy

So when I look back on my univeristy days, I feel distinctly blessed by the presence of two guys from my church who taught me more than they realize. One of them is my pastor Brian Kay, and the other is a guy named Garret Hamner. Garret was so patient with me, all my questions and doubts. But really, he taught me so much and opened my eyes to the world of theology. He gave me a book called Gospel and Kingdom by Graeme Goldsworthy that offers an explanation of Biblical theology. I LOVED IT. I still to this day see Bibilical theology as one of the most solid and Biblically founded theological systems (funny to call it a system when it is a far cousin to systematic theology, but for lack of a better term) that I have ever come across. Anyways, as some of you know, I have recently been looking at seminaries to apply to. In my search, I remembered how much respect I hold for Goldsworthy, and I looked up where he went to school and he happens to be from Austailia. Now this is how much I value this man's work: I actually added the seminary he is from to my list of possible schools to pray over.
So why am I writing this? Well, last night at our youth bible study I started talking to this guy who came to Chile from Austailia to teach at a new seminary here with the Anglican church. SO basically I forced him into a conversation about all my favorite topics: infant baptism, the history of the Anglican church and of course, dispensationalism. As we were talking about dispensationalism and the theological horror of it, the conversation progressed as so:
"Rebecca there is a book I have that I think you would enjoy reading" (this is like music to my ears!)
"Really? I love to read. Which book is it?"
"It is called Gospel and Kingdom"
"By Goldsworthy?" (at this point I was getting really excited and looked more like a little kid in a candy shop than a grown woman at a bible study)
"Yeah, you've heard of him?" (basically no one from the states reads him, I guess)
" oh my gosh! I LOVE THAT MAN!!!"
And it was at this point that all the little high schoolers who come to the bible study had gathered around us trying to figure out what the two foriegners were talking about that was so exciting.
Anyways, it turns out that this seminary teacher here in CHile actually studied under Goldsworthy! And he was explaining that Biblical theology is the foundation of all their courses. I was just about peeing my pants! I feel just way too blessed here. I mean, this opens up a whole world of possibilities here. I have been thinking that I should wait to go to seminary until I have paid back all my loans. With the budget I worked out, that means in about 25 to 30 months. Sooo... in the mean time, and who knows that will happen, I can stay here in this amazing country and possibly go to seminary here. Yes, the classes will be in Spanish, BUT all the teachers are from Austrailia!
Funny note: I used to babysit for my pastor on one condition: that after his daughter went to sleep, I could have full use of his library. What a deal! Those books are so much more valuable than money down here. SO I extended the same offer to this guy. I will babysit, basically whenever, even Saturdays, IF I get to use his library. I am so excited to finish the other two books in the Goldsworthy Trilogy!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
wow!

its like..all your dreams are coming true in the most unexpected of ways! yay!
Anonymous said…
I have a feeling you would love to read "Thomas Ice (Bloopers)" and "Pretrib Rapture Diehards" on Yahoo. Am I correct? AGENT 007
Brian Kay said…
Thanks for you nice words. Also: You'll be happy to know that Michael Horton has just pubished God of Promise: An Introduction to Covenant Theology. For you, it will be a must read. I'm glad to hear you may have found your intellectual/spiritual home for awhile!

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!