Skip to main content

Day 3- Rachels blog

Hola!!!! Sorry we skipped a day, but yesterday we just couldn´t make it to a computer. So here we are!!! No worries. Yesterday was a great day!!!! After taking our overnight bus ride we arrived in La Serena after about four hours of sleep....so we took some naps. Then we went on a coffee hunt, because we hadn´t had any coffee for 48 hours!!!! I know, I know.....I bet you´re feeling really sorry for my fellow travellers having to put up with me on no coffee. It was great because finally that pounding headache that I had come to know so well was on it´s way. We then rented a car and headed to a ferria where we bought tons of wonderful fruit and avovados. It was great!!! It was the cutest little market. We then headed out into the country in the rental car, pulling over on the side of the road to take pictures of goats and other random things. We went to this little town and ate our lunch on the steps of an adorable church. We then headed back to La Serena and went to the beach. It was nice to hang out at the beach and watch the sunset. Becka hasn´t driven in like six months, so she wanted to drive up the coast whil we still had the rental car. We ended up in some little fishing town called Tongoy, and went on a hunt for restraunts....one that doesn´t just serve fish. :) We found a little pizzeria, and had wonderful pizza with corn on it (I recommend it if you haven´t tried it before). The server was really excited to wait on gringas because he got to practice his english. Funny story: Erin had to use the restroom, so she asked them where it was and they sent her on her way. Well, she came back and told us that the bathroom was in someone´s room. She said that there was even a toothbrush on the sink. After dinner, the rest of us had to use the restrooms too, so we walked over to them, and they were not in someone´s room. It turns out that Erin went through a different door, and actually into someone´s house! We were cracking up......We then got back on the road (with one stop to look at the stars and dance in the street). We then headed back to the hostel, and hung out with her host family for a while (they helped us practice our spanish). We then all went to sleep. Ok, well that is our day yesterday, today we are taking a bus to Santiago, and then on to Argentina....hopefully I´ll get a chance to post another soon. Oh, and one interesting thing: they have tons of stray dogs that just roam the streets here...TONS....they are really really cute, possible souveneir cute...hehe. No no...but I bet you can imagine who has been the subject of many of my pictures. ;) Alright, off I go....God bless you!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!