Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving everyone (a day late, I know)!

I have had a lot of people ask me about Thanksgiving down here. Well, it is a holiday only for the US, but the average Chilean knows about (We can thank the Friends episode for that). I actually went and had a REAL Thanksgivng meal, pumpkin pie and all. My church which is an international church and is made up of mostly Gringos, put on a Thanksgiving potluck. It was amazing.
Of course it was missing a few things that I have come to realize are traditions for me from my childhood. Some of the foods they were missing were Grandmom's augratin potatoes, deviled eggs, and Martinelli's sparkling cider. The church also was not able to provide chairs in front of a tv for all the men to fall asleep on. I think that is one of my favorite memories: walking into our tv room and finding not just my dad, but my granddad, both sleeping in front of the tv.
Overall though, the night was wonderful. I sat at a table with a couple from nebraska who moved here shortly after getting married. We asked the normal questions that everyone in an internatioanl church in Latin Ameria would ask. Where are you from, how long have you been here, what brought you here, and how long are you going to stay? Surprisingly enough, we had the smae answer for the 3rd question. When they asked me, I gave my usual mumbled response that I am not sure why I am here exactly but that I am supposed to be here and I am loving it. The wife, Sonja, smiled and said they knew exactly what I meant. The night was a great reminder of the blessings and traditions that home holds.

My lesson did not go so well yesterday. I was asked to teach using a method that we learned the day before and that none of us were very comfortable with, but I am up for a challenge. I felt like the class went horribly, but my peers and trainer disagreed. While they admitted that it had some strong down sides, they still thought overall the class went well. The amazing thing is, that even though I felt like I bombed that class, I still really want to teach. i never knew that it would become a passion. I thought I was just doing this so i could get a job, but I have found that teaching is something that comes semi naturally and that I love to do. I am teaching again today, but this time I can choose my method, so it will be fun.

Comments

Anonymous said…
as someone who has given over 200 lectures so far, i expect that all of you are somewhat accurate in your assessment of the lecture.

you feel that you bombed, that the class didn't go well. that's probably somewhat accurate -- you're comparing the class to other classes you've attended (where someone else lectured). compared to seasoned lecturers, you probably bombed. but that's to be expected.

the leaders of the training program have probably observed many first-time teachers, and are comparing you to those. compared to that group, they say, you're not so bad. they see your strengths and potential.

the fact that you still want to teach is the really important part. it's no good doing something as a job if you don't fundamentally enjoy it.

so this is a great start!

good luck on your next class. i hope it goes well.

paul came here for thanksgiving. it was a nice and fairly low-key dinner. jeremy brought 3 desserts from the bakery-cafe where he works. we ate and ate and then sat in front of the TV and had dessert. no turkey, however. aviva and i made duck. it was just okay, not great. but it was our first time at making duck. (in my opinion, it was pretty mediocre, but nigel really liked it). we also made a ham (perfect for a jewish family, right?) with a mustard-honey glaze. that was great, by everyone's opinion. we missed you!

love

mom
Kallie said…
Becka, I'm so glad you had a great Thanksgiving. I attended one like that with my international church in Spain and while it did lack some of the family traditions I think it was definitely one of the most genuinely "thankful" Thanksgivings I've yet to experience. I spend Thanksgiving at my brother's new place in Lafayette and kept thinking about you since that was the last place I saw your bubbly self before you left for Chile! The food was great and the company was even better. I love my brother and his gf and it was so much fun to have my Jamie and Jon back if only briefly!! We played tons of card games, at least half of which ended with us laughing so hard we had tears streaming down our faces. I'm sure the teaching will improve with time and with improved confidence. I'm so stoked you love what you're doing!! Hugs hugs!

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!