Skip to main content

Gone home to Chile

I thought alot about Argentina while I was there and spent a good two hours sitting at one of the sidewalk cafes watching the people and observing the culture. I noticed a few differences between Chile and Argentina. (Disclaimer: the majority of my observations of Chile are made from a six week stay in La Serena and the observations of Argentina are made completely from a two day stay in a small but urban city called Mendoza. My observations may not be accurate of the culture as a whole, but they are my observations.)
Argentina´s good and services are considerably less expensive than Chile (about 1/2 the price in most cirsumstances)
The women of chile are much more protective adn possessive of their men.
There is a ridiculously higher level of Public display of Affection (PDA) in Chile. Anywhere you go you can find couples kissing, but in Argentina it is much more conservative.
The people look physically more diverse in Argentina. i could not describe for you what an Argentinian looks like. There was so much diversity in physical appearance, but in Chile this is not the case. While there is a little amount of diversity in Chile, there is a very distinct Chilean look, especially for the women.
Argentinians were also much more diverse in style. I am sure in Santiago that there is more diversity than there is in La Serena, but in general, Chileans dress alike.
In Chile you can find groups of two or three school girls (anywhere from 14 to 18 years old) still in their school uniforms wandering around the town, giggling at the boys and enjoying some helado (ice cream). I saw nothing even close to this in Argentina.
Argentinians in general are MUCH better at speaking Engliah. Chileans try, but can´t seem to master the language.
These are just some examples of differences I found. In general, Argentina is VERY European, with a very strong Italian influence. Chile on the other hand, espeically in the north seems to be closer to its indigenous roots. Most of the extanjeros I have met down here prefer Argentina to Chile. It seems to be a higher class of society. But I thought about all of this and realized that this is one of those circumstances when persoanl preferences come into play. There is no right or wrong answer here. Every person must choose which culture fits THEM. And after realizing this adn journaling for quite some time, I realized that I choose Chile. I like the fact that they don´t speak proper Spanish. I like the oldfashioned slow moving society that I have found in the north. And I like the ridiculously overdone national pride (especially for their football teams who are horible (not a spelling mistake, but a spanish word, mom).
So when vacation time comes and I am in the mood for a fast paced, materistic, beautifully diverse city, I will take the 8 hour bus over to Mndoza Argentina. But I think I will so my best to plant my feet, for now at least, in this beautiful old land called Chile.

Comments

Anonymous said…
my friend olivia told me that people she knows who have gone to argentina absolutely love it. i think you might want to visit buenos aires at some point before you commit to a new job. but if you get the job in la serena, it would be easy to travel to argentina on holiday... have fun in santiago and be careful!

love, mom
beckalippy said…
Mom, the whole point of the blog is that I UNDERSTAND why people love argentina. It is just like how many people love Italy. I am totally up fopr visiting B.A., pero what I was trying to say is that I think I like the Chilean culture more. Just personally, and I can undestand how most people might prefer the Argentinian culture. Maybe when you come down to visit me we will take a trip over there... hehehe...

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!