Skip to main content

chess in the park

I have made it my daily habit to walk to the plaza de armas, a quaint park with benches circling around a beautiful fountain. I sit on one of the benches and watch the people walk through the park or the childrne play around the fountain. I recently have begun to hang out with the men who play chess in the park every night. There are always two or three games going at one time and at least three or four onlookers. Although the men have encouraged me to take a try at the game, I decline and remain one of the on lookers. It has been way too many years and I want to remember strategy before I try to play. I love it though. Chess needs no language, and I feel like I am in a park in New York.
All in all, htis city has become so dear to me. I am not sure why, but i truly feel at home here. It helps that the son of the family who owns the hostel I live in is so nice to me. His name is Felipe and he is 21 years old and a student of Chemistry at the university. For some reason, I have no clue why, he has decided to be so sweet and makes sure that I am having a good time. We talked the other day for about an hour, that´s right, in SPANISH. See, I know my spanish must not be as bad as I think it is if I am havinghour long conversations. In any case, life seems so good right now. I love my room, except for the fact that every night I get asthma from it. It is in the back corner of the house and I have a huge window through which I watch the stars every night. And the family has begun to treat me like I am no longer a tenent, but a part of their family.
OH! I also recently recieved the book I ordered online, Alfred Edershiem´s The life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, and I have been devouring it like no other. i do believe that it will probably be one of my favorite books of all time. I used part of it in my Senior Project, but now I can just read and read and read.
The only thing that still rests in the back of my mind is what I am going to be doing after my Spanish classes end in a few weeks. I figure that classes will end in early October and my November i need to be working at something. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. I know I could always go to teach English in Santiago, but I don´t get excited when i think of that. I truly think that I want to live out the phrase that has been in my heart recently "to love those the world has chosen to ignore". Isn´t that what we are called to do? And here I am, willing, but I have no clue where to go.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
hey Becka! it's Emily Curran, your successor as librarian of the Campus Crusade library!! Wow - it sounds like life is amazing down there! I like this whole blog thing - good stuff... hey, well I realize this is a funny place to do this, but i have a few questions for you... could you email me? if i don't hear from you, I will just send you my questions via another blog post...no big either way. Brian Kay told me this was the best way to get a hold of you...so I thought i'd try. talk to you soon!! emilyrcurran@gmail.com

emily

Popular posts from this blog

a good sign

I live near a long thin park called Parque Forestal. It's really quite a nice park and it has a long stretch of a lane for riding bikes or jogging. And since I have a fear of riding bikes in this city, I jog. It's really pleasent. I usually listen to radioDisney on my mp3 player and jog along to Jonas Brothers, Beyonce, or Julieta Venegas. Great stuff. Yesterday on my jog I noticed that the trees were beginning to change. Fall has finally arrived and I am glad for the change. But as I was jogging through the falling leaves, I began to think about how much I like fall. And I had this special moment when I realized that I want to be here in Santiago, jogging through this park for many falls to come. After the past few weeks of cultural adjustment being a little more painful than normal, this was a nice thought to have.

la musica de chile

For a moment I would liek to ponder the music of Chile. You see, I listen to just about everything (except non-live jazz). Even country, although in this category I limit myself to Dixie Chicks and The Judds (only the old stuff). Here in Chile there is really only a few types of music. One, the corny romantic music that belongs on programs like "Delilah at night". Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I love this type of music. Another type of music is Reggaton (not sure about the spelling, but do I ever spell words correctly?). This is Latin America´s response to Hip Hop. Very good for dancing. I also love the fact that most Reggaton is in Spanglish, my favorite language. There is this other type of music that I like to call the "Corny Electric Piano Musica". Too corny for me and I can only take so much electric piano in one song. I am amazed at how much Englsih music is played here. And people sing to it. they actually know the words, but they have no clue what t

murderous thoughts for cats

I got home from work today, exhausted, only to face the horrible whining of the neighborhood cats outside my window. They used to be really loud, and then in the cold of the winter they disappeared. But now they seem to have returned in full force. I sure hope I can sleep tonight!